Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Head Trauma

My worst nightmare came true....tons of blood gushing from my baby's head!  Okay, maybe I am exaggerating, but it was so scary!  On Hannah's 3rd birthday we made her first (and hopefully last) trip to the ER.  We were running around and I was chasing her and she jumped up on the couch and fell backwards hitting the back of her head directly on the sharp corner of the coffee table.  I immediately ran and picked her up and the blood was just running all the way down her back and down to her feet.  I tried to keep cool (I am a nurse after all) but there was just so much blood and with all her hair I could not find where it was coming from to see how big of an injury we were dealing with!  I applied pressure as best I could and attempted to call Sam with my shaking hands.  After I finally got the bleeding to slow down I saw that there was a small little cut on her head, but it was pretty deep and still bleeding, so I decided to take her to the ER.  WARNING!!  Graphic photo below!! 
 Sam met us at the ER and I was so glad since I was managing both girls by myself.  She did great at the hospital and did not cry once.  She got two little stitches in the back of her head and after waiting a while to get her head numb, she actually giggled through the stitches.  It could have been so much worse!  So, so scary to see your little girl like that!  Hopefully nothing like this will ever happen again!

No comments: